- This topic is empty.
November 2, 2020 at 10:12 pm #4997Jason MahanGuest
by Jay Bernard
- ISBN: 9781784742614 (1784742619)
- Awards: Costa Book Award Nominee for Poetry (2019), Forward Prize Nominee for Best First Collection (2019), The Royal Society of Literature Ondaatje Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2020), T. S. Eliot Prize Nominee (2019)
- Publisher: Chatto & Windus
- Genres: poetry, lgbt, queer, history, politics, historical, race
- Release date: June 20, 2019
- Author: Jay Bernard
- Language: english
- Format: paperback, 80 pages
About The Book
*Shortlisted for the Forward Prize for Best First Collection 2019*
Jay Bernard’s extraordinary debut is a fearlessly original exploration of the black British archive: an enquiry into the New Cross Fire of 1981, a house fire at a birthday party in south London in which thirteen young black people were killed.
Dubbed the ‘New Cross Massacre’, the fire was initially believed to be a racist attack, and the indifference with which the tragedy was met by the state triggered a new era of race relations in Britain.
Tracing a line from New Cross to the ‘towers of blood’ of the Grenfell fire, this urgent collection speaks with, in and of the voices of the past, brought back by the incantation of dancehall rhythms and the music of Jamaican patois, to form a living presence in the absence of justice.
A ground-breaking work of excavation, memory and activism — both political and personal, witness and documentary — Surge shines a much-needed light on an unacknowledged chapter in British history, one that powerfully resonates in our present moment.
Hardcover Surge by Jay Bernard read on Barnes & Noble. FB2 ebook Surge download on iPad. Online book Surge.
PDF book Surge Jay Bernard buy for PC on IndieBound. TXT Surge Android on Books-a-Million. Paperback ebook Surge by Jay Bernard download.
FictionBook Surge read online on iOS. MOBI ebook Surge Jay Bernard buy cheap on Kobo. MP3 book Surge on Audible.